This keto broccoli cheddar soup is so cozy, delicious and filling. It’s perfect to warm up on, now the days are getting colder. One bowl of this soup has 8 grams of net carbs.
This soup is also child-proof. As much as my daughter doesn’t like to eat anything that looks remotely green, she did enjoy this soup to my surprise. But I think it was mainly because she loves cheddar cheese and fried bacon.
For the ingredients
The vegetables: In this soup, I used organic broccoli, but you can use any other cruciferous vegetable as they are low in carbs and fit into a ketogenic diet. Think of cauliflower and Brussels sprouts for example.
The cooking oil: I used Ghee to make this recipe, but you can also use butter, coconut oil, beef tallow, or any other healthy fat. Avoid using vegetable oil, since they are high in omega 6 and inflammatory in the body.
The cheese: Cheddar cheese is one of my favorite cheeses. It tastes absolutely delicious with everything. Most shredded cheddar cheeses do have colorants and additives in them to give them that nice orange color and to prevent the shred to stick together. Always check the ingredients of the cheddar cheese you buy. I used one that had a natural colorant in the ingredient list, called “beta carotene“, which is coming from a natural source like mushrooms, fruits, or vegetables.
You can also replace the cheddar cheese with any other shredded cheese of your liking.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links that help keep this content free.
KETO BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPE
– 1 medium-sized onion (cut in pieces)
– 3 cloves garlic (minced)
– 1 tablespoon ghee
– 1 broccoli head, cut in florets
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 1 cup water
– Salt & black pepper to taste
– Nutmeg to taste
– 3 tablespoons cream cheese
– 2 cups cheddar cheese
– 12 slices of bacon, fried and cut in pieces (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the ghee on medium-high heat.
- Fry the cut onion and minced garlic.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and spices. Let simmer until the broccoli is soft.
- Pulse-mix everything with an immersion blender (or regular blender), don’t overmix if you’d like to have some broccoli pieces in the soup. If you want a more liquid soup you can blend until everything is smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and let the soup simmer on low heat for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and some fried pieces of bacon (optional).
Serving: 1 bowl of soup | Calories: 331 kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 19.5g | Fat: 22g | Fiber: 3g