This paleo red cabbage with apple recipe is one of my seasonal favorites. I used to have it when I was a kid, and it pairs great with meat such a meatloaf or, as the traditional Belgians eat it, with sausage. This recipe is pretty easy to make, and you don’t need a whole array of ingredients and spices. Just six ingredients, to be specific.
Red cabbage is a nutritious vegetable high in vitamin C, which supports the immune system. And it’s also high in antioxidants which are great to fight off the free radicals our body is exposed to every day from our modern environment.
You can eat this vegetable raw in a salad or even fermented. But to keep it a little less boring, I like to eat it cooked.
For the ingredients
Red cabbage: In this recipe, I used a medium-sized organic red cabbage head.
Red apples: I used organic Jonagold apples. But you can use any other type of red apple you prefer.
Coconut oil: For the coconut oil, I used organic, extra virgin to sear the cabbage and apples before adding in the other ingredients.
Coconut sugar: To give this red cabbage a pleasant sweet taste, I added some coconut sugar. If you want to use another paleo-friendly sweetener, you can also use maple syrup, honey, molasses, or stevia. Make sure to taste after you add some sweetener to decide if you need more or less.
Vinegar: To prevent the red cabbage from losing its beautiful purple color, I added some distilled vinegar.
Water: To prevent the red cabbage from burning to the pot, I added one cup of water. You can choose to add more or less. The water will vaporize the longer you cook the cabbage.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links that help keep this content free.
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 red apples
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Remove the outer leaves from the red cabbage. Cut in half and then cut into slices. Set aside.
- Peel the apples, cut out the core and cut into small squares. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil on medium- high heat. Add the cut red cabbage and apples. Let is sear for about a minute.
- Lower down the heat, add the coconut sugar, vinegar and water and let simmer for 40-50 minutes until soft. Stir inbetween.