There’s nothing cozier than a slow-cooked meal and this paleo slow cooker veal roast brings all the flavor of Fall and Winter. I love making this recipe because it requires minimum effort, and the slow cooker does all the work really.
You can prepare this in the morning, and eat it for lunch or you can prepare it at noon for dinner. You decide when your food will be ready with this dish because you’ll set the time when it will be ready. It’s like having a personal chef, kind of… 😄
For the ingredients
Veal roast: I used a veal roast because it was the only roast I could find the day I wanted to make this dish. You can use any roast for this recipe. Beef, lamb, or pork would be recommended.
Coconut aminos: I use coconut aminos to add some extra soy sauce-like flavor to this recipe and to replace the Worchester sauce.
Beef Broth: Besides the coconut aminos for flavor, I also added beef broth. This gives the veal roast a nice taste and extra nutrients. You can use any broth of your liking if you don’t have beef broth available.
Tapioca starch: To make sure, the veal didn’t have a watery sauce, I added some tapioca starch which I mixed with some water before I added it to the pot, to prevent clotting. Adding in this mixture created a nice thick sauce.
Spices: I kept it very basic in this recipe when it comes to the spices. Just salt and black pepper are what I used. Because this is a slow cooking recipe, the added carrots, onions and garlic bring out the best taste.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links that help keep this content free.
- Add a the coconut oil to the slow cooker and turn it on to 5 hours on high.
- Peel the carrots and cut them in half. Peel the shallot onions and add both to the slow cooker together with the garlic.
- Season the veal roast with salt and pepper, and add it to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix the tapioca starch with the water and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add the coconut aminos and beef broth on top of the veal. Close the slow cooker pot and let it cook.
- When the veal is ready shred it with a fork and mix with the other ingredients.