Think you can’t enjoy lasagna on your ketogenic diet? Think again! With this keto lasagna recipe you can enjoy your favourite Italian dish without raising your blood sugars or getting knocked out of ketosis.
This is one of my family’s favourites because it’s just full of flavours and tastes pretty similar to the real deal.
In this recipe I replaced the lasagna noodles with fat dough. If you’re not a fan of fat dough or you are not in the mood to prepare the dough, you can also use zucchini noodles. I’ve tried the zucchini noodles, but I felt like it made the lasagna a little soggy. So using fat dough makes the lasagna a bit more firm, and in my opinion, delicious.
For the ingredients
The cheese: To make the lasagna noodles I use shredded mozzarella cheese. I wouldn’t recommend substituting this cheese with any other cheese, since you need the firm consistency to hold everything together and create a dough.
In-between the layers of the lasagna I use cream cheese, but you can also use ricotta cheese.
The flour: I use almond flour in the process of making the lasagna noodles. I don’t recommend substituting this with any other nut flour. I’ve tried it with coconut flour before. It didn’t turn out well.
The meat: For the meat I used ground beef, but you can use any ground meat of your preference.
The sauce: To make the bolognese sauce for the meat layer, I used passata. But you can use any low carb tomato sauce.
KETO LASAGNA RECIPE
1 lasagna – 6 portions
For the fat dough lasagna noodles
– 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
– 1 egg
– 1 1/2 cup almond flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
For the bolognese meat sauce
– 1 tbsp ghee or other cooking fat
– 1 small onion (cut in pieces)
– 1 clove garlic (minced)
– 35 oz ground beef
– 1 1/2 cup passata
– salt to taste
– pepper to taste
– paprika powder to taste
– fresh basil to taste
To assemble the lasagna
– 8 oz cream cheese
– 2 cups shredded mozzarella
For the lasagna noodles
- In a large glass bowl, add 2 cups of the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Melt in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes.
- When the mozzarella cheese is melted, add the egg and mix with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F or 190 C.
- Add the almond flour and the baking powder to the mozzarella and egg mixture and start kneading with your hands until you have a firm dough. This could take a few minutes.
- When you have a firm dough, lay out a parchment paper on a flat surface and roll out the dough into a large rectangle with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place the dough with the parchment paper on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
For the bolognese meat sauce
- While the lasagna noodle dough is baking, prepare the bolognese meat sauce.
- In a large pot, melt the ghee (or other cooking fat) at medium high heat.
- When the ghee is melted, add the onion and garlic. Stir until they start to glaze.
- Add the ground beef and mix with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Lower the heat and add the pasata, salt, pepper, paprika powder and fresh basil. Mix and let simmer.
Assemble the lasagna
- When the lasagna dough is done. Take the tray out of the oven and cut the dough into 3 lasagna noodles, using a pizza cutter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- Take the baking dish and start assembling the lasagna. Start with a layer of the bolognese meat sauce, add some shredded mozzarella and place a lasagna noodle on top.
- With a knife or spoon, spread some cream cheese on top of the lasagna noodle and cover with the bolognese meat sauce.
- Repeat this process until you have about 3 layers. Top the lasagna off with the rest of the grated mozzarella.
- Bake the lasagna in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes until the top start to brown.
Serving: 1 portion | Calories: 756 kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.8g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 53g | Fiber: 2.1g