For these keto bresilienne nuts, you’ll only need three ingredients, and 1/4 cup has a total of 4 grams of net carbs.
If you ever had bresilienne pie, chances are you also had bresilienne nuts. And I bet, if you’re Belgian, like me, you’ve probably had it before.
While the regular bresilienne nuts are made with hazelnuts and caramelized sugar, there are very high in carbs and can cause a blood sugar spike. So how can you still enjoy these sweet chopped nuts without the sugar spike? – Replacing the caramelized sugar with erythritol!
Erythritol has a glycemic index of zero and has the same sweetness as sugar. The best part is that you can also caramelize it and use it to glaze hazelnuts, giving you delicious tasting keto-friendly bresilienne nuts.
The ingredients for the keto bresilienne nuts
Blanched hazelnuts: It’s important to use blanched hazelnuts, which means the peel is already baked off, preventing little bits of peel remaining in the bresilliene nuts. You can also use hazelnuts that are already chopped and roasted. In this case, you can skip the step of using a food processor to chop up the caramelized whole hazelnuts.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links that help keep this content free.
- Steel pot or pan
- Food processor
- On a baking tray or plate, spread out some parchement paper.
- In a medium-sized steel pot, add the water and erythritol.
- Bring the water to a boil, and let the erythritol caramelize for 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
- Add the hazelnuts and cover them in the mixture.
- Spread the hazelnuts out on the parchment paper and let them cool off. The mixture will soon harden around the hazelnuts.
- When the hazelnuts are cooled off, mix them in a foodprocessor until you have finely ground bresilienne nuts.