Bread, and in particular bagels was something I knew was going to be really challenging to leave out of my diet when I first started on the ketogenic lifestyle. These dairy-free keto bagels made the transition to leave the carbs behind a lot easier. With only 2 grams of net carbs per bagel, you can enjoy having bagels and stay in ketosis! These are also perfect to have on a paleolithic diet.
I like to eat these bagels with a beef burger and use them as a substitute for a burger bun. You can also eat them with some cream cheese (on keto), smoked salmon, guacamole, and some red onion or any other of your preferred toppings. That makes an easy healthy gluten-free lunch on the go.
For the ingredients
The flour: I used mainly almond flour as a basis. I then added chia seeds, xanthan gum, and baking soda, which helps to thicken the dough, keep it dense and let it rise.
The psyllium husk: I added in ground psyllium husk to give the bagel a nice dense texture and to prevent it from falling apart. Psyllium husk is also a great source of fiber. Make sure you use ground psyllium husk.
The spices: I used mainly salt and garlic powder to give these bagels a nice flavor. But if you’d like to mix things up you can also add in some Italian spices or any other herbs you’d like.
To top things off: I like to use sesame seeds to top off the bagels. But again, you can be creative with this and use other topping such as everything but the bagel seasoning or poppy seeds.
How to make your own everything but the bagel seasoning
Mix together the following ingredients to create around one cup of seasoning:
– 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
– 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
– 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
– 3 tablespoons dried minced garlic
– 3 tablespoons flaked sea salt
– 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
DAIRY FREE KETO BAGELS RECIPE
– 1 1/2 cup almond flour
– 1 tablespoon chia seeds
– 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
– 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
– 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3 tablespoon ground psyllium husk
– 1 egg (whole)
– 3 egg whites
– 1/2 cup lukewarm water
– sesame seeds to sprinkle on top of the bagels
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius. Line out a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, chia seeds, garlic powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and ground psyllium husk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and the egg whites together.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix everything together with a spatula. Add the water and mix until you have a nice dough.
- Put the dough in a piping bag (or freezer bag) and cut off the tip.
- Pipe out the batter in circles on a baking sheet. (Depending on how big you make the bagels you can get 3-4 bagels out of this batter.)
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the bagels.
- Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and let them fully cool before eating.
1 serving: 1 bagel (out of 4 bagels out of this recipe)| Calories: 136 kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Fiber: 11g