Casseroles are such a perfect cozy way to share a nice dinner with the family. This keto beef casserole has a total of 6g net carbs per portion and fits perfectly into a ketogenic lifestyle.
I wanted to make a dish with a basic white sauce, and the conventional casseroles my mother used to make were always made with a mixture of flour combined with butter (also known as béchamel). So to replace this, I made a sauce out of cauliflower and it tastes just as nice.
The vegetables: In this keto beef casserole I used brocolli, cauliflower and carrots. On the conventional keto diet, carrots are ‘not allowed’, but this full recipe only has 2 carrots so that cuts down the amount of carbs you will be eating and it gives it that extra natural sweetness to this dish.
The meat: I used grass-fed grass finished ground beef, I buy from my local farmer. You can also use another ground meat such as chicken, pork or lamb.
The spices: In this recipe I used salt and black pepper, paprika powder and turmeric powder to season the beef. You can add in some extra spices you prefer to season up the beef.
For the cauliflower sauce I used garlic powder, salt, black pepper and ground nutmeg.
The dairy: I’ve used ghee to cook the ground beef with, but you can also use another type of cooking fat such as coconut oil, butter or duck fat. In the cauliflower sauce I used sour cream and shredded mozzarella to make it extra creamy. If you don’t have sour cream, you can use cream cheese. To top off the casserole I used shredded mozzarella.
KETO BEEF CASSEROLE
– 2 cups broccoli
– 2 carrots, peeled and cut in slices
– 1 medium sized cauliflower head, cut into florets
– 1 tablespoon ghee
– 1 onion, cut in pieces
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1.6 lbs / 750 grams ground beef
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 teaspoon paprika powder
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 2 tablespoons sour cream
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Start by steaming the vegetables. In a steamer that has 2 tiers, add the broccoli and carrot slices in one tier, and the cauliflower florets in the other tier. Steam until the vegetables are well cooked (around 20-30 minutes). If you don’t have a steamer, you can cook the vegetables in 2 separate pots. Add water to the pot and cook the vegetables until they are done.
- In the meantime prepare the ground beef. In a large pan, melt the ghee on medium to high heat. Fry the onion and garlic until they start to brown.
- Add the ground beef and mince until it start to brown. Turn down the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees celsius.
- Prepare the cauliflower sauce: Add the steamed/cooked cauliflower to a large pot and add garlic powder, salt and pepper, nutmeg and sour cream. Mix with an immersion blender(or blender) until you have a creamy sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella and stir it into the sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Add the prepared ground beef, steamed broccoli and carrots to the sauce and mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture into a large oven dish (I used a 13 inch oval one) and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top starts to brown.
Serving: 1/8 of casserole | Calories: 291 kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.1g | Protein: 28.2g | Fat: 16.4g | Fiber: 3.1g
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links which helps keep this content free.